Preserving Yarmouth Memories
- Home - The Collection - Then and Now - Community Profiles - About This Project -

Melbourne Community


Settled by New Englanders in the late 1700s.


Fishing; ship building; saw mills.


Picture of Melbourne
  • The Free Baptist Church was built in 1832 at the corner of the branch road leading to Little River.
  • The first school house was erected in 1840 on what is now known as Pinkney Hill. It burned in 1863 but the well is still there.


  The Mi’kmaq probably called this area “Keskoospaak” meaning “where they catch beavers”. There was an Acadian chapel and settlement in this area. Twenty-five families were deported from Chebogue in 1758.

  New Englanders settled here in the late 18th century.

  Captain Ephrim Cook came here for the summer fishery in 1760-61 and moved here with his family in 1762. He settled on land in Lower Melbourne and built his first house near Cook’s Beach. He built fishing stands and a store house for trading. He cured and shipped salt fish to the West Indies.

  Ephrim Cook was the first Registrar of Deeds (1767) and the first Justice of the Peace in the county. He died in 1821.

Community Profiles

Please choose a community profile from the list below.

Return to the Community Profiles Homepage.



Place-names and places of Nova Scotia. Public Archives of Nova Scotia, 1967
  -   Western Counties Regional Library   -   Nova Scotia C@P   -   Yarmouth County Museum And Archives   -   New Horizons For Seniors   -