companies was H. H. Crosby and Co. Boot and Shoe Factory, located about a half-mile north of Hebron Corner at Leighton Street. Their specialty was the “Young Canada school boot”.
- The old Hebron cemetery is one of the oldest in the county.
- Coronation Hall, just above Hebron Corner on the right, saw many performances by the Choral and Dramatic Society.
The Mi’kmaq name for Yarmouth River Malegeak, “bent in different directions” probably included this area.
Around 1815 Capt. Anthony Landers from Sunderland, England, built a house north of the Second Pond, calling it Hebron House from the Biblical name meaning “friend”. The name stuck and the village was called Hebron Corner (later shortened to Hebron). There is a tradition that Capt. Landers built a Methodist church on his land near the corner in which he preached. His grant of land embraced nearly half of Hebron, or rather, The Ponds as it was then called.
Before 1828 the Baptists held meetings in the old school house; in 1828 the Baptist meeting house was built.
Hebron’s well-known “Round House” was originally a cattle barn that boasted a very early example of automated feed for the cattle.
Manor Inn is remembered as the estate of Commodore H. H. Raymond, President of the Atlantic Gulf West Indies Lines and Chairman of the Board of Eastern Steamship and Clyde Mallory Lines.
Common surnames include Crosby, Cann, Perry, Doty, Churchill, Bain, Butler, Moses, Patten, Porter, Sanders, Trask, Redding, Rogers, Rose.