Preserving Yarmouth Memories
- Home - The Collection - Then and Now - Community Profiles - About This Project -

Greenville Community


Approximately 1820


Picture of Greenville
  • “Greenville” is one of three recorded names for the community, along with Salmon River and Riverdale.

  The first recorded settler of this area was David Dize, a Black man originally from Kingston, Jamaica. Dize was indentured as an apprentice to Nehemiah Porter of Yarmouth, the town coroner. The indenture was for a length of just over four years, after which time Dize would be released from service. Over the years, the village developed along what is known today as the old Dize Road.

  The Greenville United Baptist Church opened in May 1853 and was originally known as the Salmon River Church. The local school, first called the African School in Salmon River (and later, simply Greenville School), opened in 1861. The school was segregated until 1905. It operated until 1919, and then closed until 1927 when it was reopened by Mrs. Alfretta Anderson (who had attended Greenville School as a child). She continued teaching until the school’s final closure in 1958.

  Early surnames in Greenville included Dyes, Cornwall, Corben, Crawford, Berry, Chandler, Turner, McKinnon, Johnson.

Community Profiles

Please choose a community profile from the list below.

Return to the Community Profiles Homepage.



Robart-Johnson, Sharon.
“Greenville”. A Glance Into The Past. 2nd ed. 2005.
  -   Western Counties Regional Library   -   Nova Scotia C@P   -   Yarmouth County Museum And Archives   -   New Horizons For Seniors   -